Wastewater System Engineer

City of Hood River
211 2nd Street, Hood River, Oregon
Job Type
Job Post Expires On




The City of Hood River is located in the Columbia Gorge National Scenic Area. Hood River’s permanent population is 8,250 but swells to over 20,000 on summer weekends.

New residents of Hood River quickly discover the city has much to offer. Activities range from leisurely to a wide range of active sports, and much in between. The more adventurous seek out surrounding areas including mountain peaks for various snow sports, trails for mountain biking and hiking, or world-renowned wind sports and other water sports. The City firmly believes in and supports a healthy work-life balance. Relationship building and the ability to develop trust and respect throughout the community are vital.

The City of Hood River owns a wastewater collection system and treatment plant facility, which is operated by a contract third party.  The system currently includes four Significant Industrial Users who have industrial discharge permits overseen by the City. The wastewater system is nearing its capacity limitations and will require significant planning, permitting, and capital investment in the coming years. The Wastewater Systems Engineer will have a key role in these activities and will provide technical guidance. This position works with Treatment Plant Staff to solve problems with a focus on collaboration with internal and external stakeholders including regulatory agencies.

Qualifications - The ideal candidate will have the following experience and training:

  • Master’s degree in civil, mechanical, or related engineering discipline is preferred. A bachelor’s degree in civil, mechanical, or related engineering field from an accredited university or college will also be considered.
  • 5+ years of engineering experience in wastewater system engineering.
  • Professional Engineer (PE) license in Oregon or ability to obtain within the first 6 months of employment.
  • Project management experience in planning and designing wastewater, collection, and treatment facilities is required.
  • Experience with similar systems (water or wastewater) may also be considered.


Employee Benefit Overview

Trial Service Period:  Regular probation is six months for all new employees.

Compensation: Payday is the 5th and 20th of the month unless those days land on a holiday or weekend and the payable is on the Friday before.

Medical, Dental, and Vision Insurance: Beginning the first day of the month after one month of employment, the City will pay 90% of the premiums for employees and any eligible dependents. The employee pays the remaining 10%. Medical insurance is currently provided through Regence; Dental insurance is currently provided through Delta Dental (Moda); and Vision is provided through VSP.

VEBA Program: Employees may be eligible to participate in the City’s Voluntary Employee Beneficiary Association (VEBA) Program the City contribution is equal to the deductible.

Group Life and Accident Insurance: The City provides a $5,000 Life insurance policy and $5,000 AD&D policy currently through Hartford at no cost to the employee.

Retirement: City of Hood River retirement plan is through PERS. The City contributes depending on status level in PERS currently between 15% and 25%. The employee contributes 6% after 600 hours and six months of employment or earlier depending on status with PERS.


Deferred Compensation: Employees may elect to establish a deferred compensation account through Voya or Nationwide.

Sick Leave: Full-time Employees are credited with 4 hours of sick leave each pay period.

Vacation: All regular employees are eligible for vacation based on the schedule below. Vacation time is not credited until after the completion of the six-month trial service period.

Length of Service:                                       Accruals:

Up to 6 months                                           5 days

6 months through 2 years                        3.34 hours/pay period

3 years through 5 years                            4 hours/pay period

6 years through 10 years                         5 hours/pay period

11 years through 15 years                       6 hours/pay period

16 years through 20 years                       7 hours/pay period

21 years or more                                        8 hours/pay period

Holidays: The City grants 12 paid holidays and 1 floating holiday to all regular and trail service employees.

Executive Leave: 40 hours annually.


To Apply: Submit a cover letter, resume, and completed application to Sandy Galvez, Human Resources Manager,  s.galvez@cityofhoodriver.gov. The job description can be viewed at https://cityofhoodriver.gov/employment-opportunities/ The position is open until filled; the first review is on March 29th, 2024.


The City of Hood River is an equal opportunity, affirmative action employer.