WATER OPERATOR I, II or III
- Type: Full Time
- Hourly Wage:
- I: $28.18 – $31.72
- II: $31.72 – $35.70
- III: $35.70 – $40.18
- Open until Filled
CANDIDATES MUST HAVE CURRENT WDM or WTPO I OR HIGHER
This is a full-time, Fair Labor Standards Act non-exempt, non-Civil Service maintenance position. A typical work week is Monday to Friday, 7:30 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. with periodic callouts on weekends and evenings based on operational needs and emergencies. This position is part of a bargaining unit represented by the American Federation of State County and Municipal Employees (AFSCME) Local 120.
Under supervision, the Water Operator performs semi-skilled labor in the maintenance, operation, and repair of the City’s water system; and maintains all vehicles and equipment used. Class specifications are intended to present a descriptive list of the range of duties performed by employees in the class. Specifications are not intended to reflect all duties performed within the job.
Duties may include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Maintain water distribution system including main and service lines, valves, fire hydrants, reservoirs and related equipment; locate and repair service line leaks.
- Install, repair and replace pumps and motors at pump stations and ground water well sites.
- Overhaul and maintain hydraulically controlled pressure valves and controls
- Participate in the installation of distribution system lines; cut and prepare piping and fittings; thread and link pipe; replace gate valves and couplings; install and replace water services; install water meters.
- Inspect and assess leaks, operate leak detection and pipe location equipment relative to excavation, tapping and repair of mains and lines; inspect and assess leaks.
- Read water meters with computerized hand-held machine; field test customer meters for accuracy.
- Respond to customer water service and billing complaints; check high and low pressure; check for meter leaks and replace meters as necessary.
- Perform service turn-ons and turn-offs; notify customers of water interruptions and of the type of work to be performed; leave door hangers to notify customers of impeding disconnection of service.
- Operate a variety of heavy construction and maintenance equipment including a dump truck, skip loader, backhoe, trencher, water tank truck and other related equipment; pick up and deliver materials and supplies as necessary.
- Participate in cutting and breaking asphalt and concrete surfaces; construct forms, pour and finish concrete; repair and participate in the pavement of roadways, sidewalks, manholes and related structures; perform concrete repairs, patch work, brick, block walls, and associated masonry work.
- Maintain, update and inspect backflows and fire checks.
- Service and maintain all air-vacs and blow-offs in the distribution system.
- Maintain records related to distribution system.
- Perform traffic control to ensure the safety of service workers and the general public.
- Record operating hours and usages of water distribution system pumps and motors.
- Collect water samples for state health department analysis.
- Assist with equipment maintenance at the water treatment plant.
- Assist with the City’s water conservation program.
- Monitor inventory of assigned materials and supplies; requisition and restock maintenance supplies, materials and equipment as necessary.
- Ensure and adhere to safe work practices and procedures including, but not limited to lockout/tag-out and confined space rules and regulations.
- Oversee the work of lower level staff as required.
- Perform related duties as required.
QUALIFICATIONS - License or Certificate
- Washington Driver’s License – required
- Water Distribution Mgr. I – required
- Confined Space Entry Certificate - preferred
- Asbestos Pipe Removal – preferred or obtained within 6 months
- Pump & Motor Maintenance Class - preferred or obtained within 6 months
- Basic Electrical Class - preferred or obtained within 6 months
With the inclusion of the Water Operator I License and Certificate requirements
- Water Distribution Mgr. II – required
- Wastewater Operator I - preferred or obtained within twelve (12) months (with incentive pay)
With the inclusion of the Water Operator II License and Certificate requirements
- Water Treatment Plant Operator – required
- Wastewater Operator I - required
- Cross Connection Specialist – required
Advancement to the II or III level is based upon meeting qualifications, years of experience and satisfactory job performance.
Please see City of Orting website for a more job description, qualifications and application instructions.
Incumbents must submit a completed city application for each open position they would like to be considered for.