Two positions are available. These are full-time, non-exempt positions with a full benefits package. This recruitment will be open until filled. Application review will begin on August 1, 2022.
The City of Hillsboro Water Department has a great opportunity for a Water Distribution Operator to join their team. The Hillsboro Water Department operates at a metropolitan scale from a suburban environment, with responsibilities for local water distribution and regional water supply. This is an excellent opportunity to support the City and play a key role in providing the vital resource of clean drinking water to our diverse and thriving community.
About This Opportunity
These positions are specifically dedicated to the Water Valves Group which is responsible for operating the valve exercising equipment, valve exercising, maintenance and operations, valve repairs and rehabilitation work. The positions are also responsible for valve asset database updates, setting up and participating in loop and unidirectional system flushing, and responding to flushing requests due to water quality. The City's water distribution system valve operators are performing essential valve exercising and maintenance work, which is required by the American Water Works Association (AWWA) and is recommended to take place at regular intervals to keep the system valves in good operating order. This is critical work because if a main breaks, operators can quickly isolate pipe segments and perform repairs in a manner that maintains water quality and system pressure for our customers. The Group is responsible for implementing and executing an Unidirectional Flushing (UDF) Program, in preparation for integrating a new and redundant water supply into the City's water system.
Examples of Essential Work
- Operates and maintains water distribution systems, pumping and storage facilities, services pumps, motors, valves, generators and other related equipment.
- Monitors and maintains finished water quality to ensure safety and compliance with standards and laws; monitors, maintains and calibrates various instruments; performs water laboratory testing and reviews results.
- Determines and regulates water flow to ensure adequate water supply; reads flow meters, adjusts pressure valves, and repairs flow meters.
- Performs preventative maintenance on equipment and instruments to ensure efficient operations and accurate readings.
- Performs taps on water mains, installs new services, relocates water pipes and appurtenances, identifies and repairs leaks, maintains and operates valves, hydrants and meters.
- Addresses questions, concerns, and complaints from the general public; provides requested information; investigates and takes appropriate measures to resolve issues.
- Maintains records, reports, logs, and other required documentation in accordance with retention schedules.
- Manage records and information in any format, in accordance with applicable statutes, regulations and City policy, guidance and records retention schedule.
- Performs other duties of a similar nature and level as assigned.
Acceptable Experience and TrainingAssociate’s degree in chemistry, biology, water, wastewater technology, or related field and 2 years of experience as a Water Distribution Operator I; or, an equivalent combination of education and experience sufficient to successfully perform the essential duties of the job such as those listed above.
Licenses and Certifications
- Valid driver’s license and safe driving record
- Class A CDL with Tanker endorsement or the ability to obtain one within one year of hire
- Traffic Control Certification
- Oregon Water Distribution Operator I or the ability to obtain one within one year of hire or Oregon Water Distribution Operator II Certification
- Flagger Certification
- Competent Person Certification
- Excavation Safety
- Trimet Track Access
- Forklift Certification
- Water Distribution system Main and Service lines, including Valves, Hydrants, and Meters, Flushing, Reservoirs.
- Applicable federal, state, and local laws, codes, regulations and/or ordinances.
- Procedures, processes and methods of water distribution maintenance and storage operations.
- Applicable procedures, processes, and methods of water treatment technology
- Applicable systems, equipment, and tools.
- Water sampling and testing protocol and methods.
- Positive and effective customer service principles.
- Safe work practices.
- Basic mathematical concepts.
- Interpreting and applying applicable laws, codes, regulations, and standards.
- Providing lead work direction and evaluation (based on assignment).
- Prioritizing and assigning work activities and projects (based on assignment).
- Journey level repair and maintenance of specialized systems and equipment.
- Sampling water and maintaining test results.
- Providing positive and effective customer service.
- Performing quality control checks and maintain safe water standards.
- Identifying issues and recommending solutions.
- Reading and interpreting technical documents.
- Preparing and maintaining documents and records.
- Teaching and conveying technical information.
- Adhering to safe work practices.
- Utilizing a computer and relevant software applications.
- Promoting a culture of teamwork and communication by working in collaboration and treating coworkers with respect and dignity and maintaining an open mind to diverse voices and ideas.
Additional InformationHiring a workforce that reflects the diverse community we serve is essential to delivering exceptional City services and programs. The City of Hillsboro is committed to creating and supporting an inclusive and welcoming environment for all employees to thrive. We value, respect, and empower employees as unique individuals with authentic voices and diverse ideas.