Utility Craftsperson (Locator/Meter Reader) @ the City of Kirkland, WA
$29.43 - $34.62 Per Hour
123 5th Ave, Kirkland, WA 98033, USA
OPEN: 3/26/21 CLOSE: 4/11/21
The City of Kirkland is seeking to hire a full-time Utility Craftsperson in its Public Works Department. The position will develop expertise in and perform both of the following critical duties:
- Perform location of utilities and signal systems in the operation and maintenance of the City’s water, sewer, streets, and surface water systems as well as external entities, to provide protection of the utilities from damage during construction or maintenance
- Maintain the City's inventory of water meters and accurately record water use data for the purpose of billing City customers
The Utility Craftsperson may be assigned responsibilities in any one or more of water, sewer, street, or surface water divisions. The position exists under limited supervision in performing tasks. Depending on the assignment, principle accountabilities are as follows:
- Performs location activities on City street signal and streetlight controlling lines for all entities performing construction or maintenance work in the city.
- Performs location activities on City water, sewer and surface water systems for all entities performing construction or maintenance in the city.
- Performs work site activities regarding water system maintenance including mains, valves, hydrants, meters, PRVs and appurtenances; activities include reading meters, hydrant repair, installing and servicing mains.
- Read and accurately record water use data from the City's inventory of meters. This includes meters in service for residential, commercial, governmental and irrigation purposes.
- Assures all meters are accessible for data collection, repair and replacement by having responsibility for the division's meter box trim program.
- Assists in the coordination and data gathering in support of the division's meter change out program.
- Replaces damaged meter boxes and meters.
- Responds to service requests from Utility Billing for final reads, meter pulls for demolition of structures, leaks, and other concerns brought forth by the City's water customers.
- May be required to return to the City during off hours in case of emergency.
- May be required to perform standby duty if there are not enough volunteers to fill the need.
- Compiles data for surveys.
- May perform work outside of classification.
6:30 a.m. to 3:00 p.m., Monday – Friday
Skills and Abilities
- Ability to operate a variety of hand and power-driven tools.
- Ability to operate equipment such as five-yard dump truck, backhoe as a loader and concrete mixer among others.
- Ability to communicate orally and in writing.
- Ability to meet with the public and communicate effectively with citizens.
- Ability to read blueprints and engineering plans.
- Ability to operate various specialized utility and signal locating devices
- Ability to visually inspect utilities and relay information to proper authorities regarding utility and signal system locations.
- Ability to recognize all types of backflow prevention assemblies and the laws applicable.
- Ability to use a computer and software applications such as word, excel, outlook and other programs currently used by the division for data entry and recording.
High school diploma or GED, three years of utility construction, operation or maintenance experience, and three years’ experience in operation of locating devices OR any equivalent combination of experience and education that demonstrates the ability to perform the duties of the position. Other minimum qualifications are:
- Valid Washington State Driver’s License by date of hire, and must remain insurable under the City’s insurance policy
- Possess and maintain current Class A Combination Driver’s License with air and tanker endorsements or must obtain within 12 months after date of hire at own expense.
- Must obtain and maintain certified flagging card within 12 months after date of hire.
- Must obtain CCS certification within 12 months after date of hire.
- Must be able to climb into and out of trenches and excavation and construction equipment.
- Must be able to lift and move items weighing up to 50 pounds and bulky objects.
- Must be willing to work outdoors in inclement weather.
This position includes 100% City-paid health insurance premiums for medical/dental/vision for employee and dependents. Other employment benefits include: Washington State DRS Public Employees Retirement Systems (PERS), 401b Municipal Employee Benefits Trust (MEBT) with up to 6% City matching contribution, voluntary 457 Deferred Compensation plan, Health Reimbursement Account (HRA)/VEBA with City contribution up to $2,400/year, voluntary Flexible Spending Account for Healthcare and Childcare, City paid Employee Assistance Plan (EAP), City paid 2x annual salary life insurance, City paid Long-Term Disability (LTD) Insurance, ORCA Card, on-site work out facility, free employee parking, on-site bicycle storage, paid vacation (starts with 13 days), 12 days of paid sick leave accruals, and 12 paid holidays.
This position is represented by the Teamsters Local 763. Membership options available upon employment with the City.
When applying, include a resume’ that shows how you meet the stated qualifications. A cover letter summarizing your interest in and qualifications for the job is optional. Applicants who are invited to participate in the interview process will be notified by phone or email.
The City of Kirkland is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not unlawfully discriminate on the basis of race, sex, age, color, sexual orientation, religion, national origin, marital status, genetic information, veteran's status, disability, or any other basis prohibited by federal, state or local law. Persons with a disability who need assistance in the application or testing process or those needing this announcement in an alternative format may call 425-587-3210 or Telecommunications Device for the Deaf 425-587-3111.
Note: In accordance with the Immigration Reform and Control Act of 1986, employment of persons hired by the City will be contingent upon presentation of acceptable documents verifying identity and authorization of employment in the United States.
Questions and/or technical issues regarding the on-line application process should be directed to the City of Kirkland Human Resources Department at 425-587-3210.
City of Kirkland
123 5th Ave, Kirkland, WA 98033, USA
How to Apply