Bellevue Utilities provides high quality, essential drinking water, wastewater, and storm and surface water services that over 145,000 customers rely on every day. We take pride in making sure these services are dependable, a good value for the money, and delivered with our customers in mind. Our Utility Capital Improvement Program invests $40+ Million annually in infrastructure renewal, capacity for growth, and environmental preservation projects to ensure customer service and satisfaction remain high.
We have an exciting opportunity for you to utilize your knowledge and experience to support this mission. Bellevue Utilities is looking for a talented Sr. Engineer to join our collaborative team for design and project management of the drinking water, wastewater, and storm and surface water Capital Improvement Program (CIP) projects.
At the City of Bellevue, you'll be part of a team committed to providing exceptional customer service, upholding the public interest, achieving the community vision and providing our customers fiscal stewardship. Our people bring unique skills and qualities to the table, embrace the values of honesty, accountability, and commitment to service, and take pride in the work they do. You'll work in an environment where being innovative, collaborative, and future focused are the status quo. Bellevue welcomes the world and our we embrace diversity, equity, and inclusion for the community that we serve as well as within our City organization. It's what makes the City of Bellevue an exciting place to work, live, and explore.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
Our senior engineers manage engineering consultants for design of complex capital projects, ensuring technical competence and compliance with codes and standards. These positions serve as project managers and project team leads for water, sewer, storm drainage, and stream restoration projects. The positions work under the general supervision of an Engineering Manager. They have no formal supervisory responsibilities but may serve as technical leads to other engineering staff.
- Effectively manages project scope, schedule, and budget to ensure that changes in the project are anticipated early on and addressed through a strategic change-management approach.
- Prepares and/or oversees engineering consultant preparation of preliminary and final engineering plans, specifications and cost estimates for complex water, sanitary sewer, storm drainage, and stream restoration projects.
- Prepares construction contracts for bidding and responds to bidder inquiries. Reviews contractor submittals for compliance with the plans and specifications. Assists inspectors in resolving field conflicts or changes.
- Conducts field investigations to identify problems, assess project feasibility and evaluate alternatives. Provides research, analysis, reports and recommendations on engineering issues.
- Ensures that engineering work is in compliance with federal, state and local codes and regulations. Coordinates other city departments, agencies, and regulators to obtain needed permits and agreements.
- Provides quality control oversight to ensure that project goals are met and prevent cost overruns resulting from construction change orders.
- Utilizes a business case analysis with triple bottom line decision modeling to analyze project alternatives.
- Leads the engineering, permitting and public involvement components of technically and politically complex capital projects.
- Produces accurate monthly project progress reports so that financial anomalies and design contingencies become visible and discussed in order to consider and limit their disruption/cost to the project plan.
- Represents the City and makes presentations to City officials, other jurisdictions or organizations and the general public to explain technical design features, project priorities, or project modifications requiring additional funding.
- Leads the public involvement component of complex capital projects. Coordinates project planning and design with property owners, interested citizens and other affected city departments and agencies. Responds to customer inquiries and complaints. Provides technical assistance to help resolve issues.
- Prepares and administers consultant contracts for general and specialized design services.
- Assists Property Services staff in the acquisition of needed easements or property rights.
- Provides technical support to other sections within the Utilities Department as well as other city departments, regulatory agencies and other jurisdictions.
Minimum education, experience and licensure
- Graduation from an accredited four-year college or university with a degree in Civil Engineering or related engineering field; and
- Five (5) years of experience designing of municipal water, sanitary sewer, storm drainage, and open stream projects preferred;
- Ability to obtain a Washington State Professional Engineering license within 6-months of hire.
- A Project Management Professional (PMP) certification is preferred.
- Ability to obtain a Washington State driver's license within 6-months of hire.
- Proven project management experience delivering on-time, on-budget municipal utility capital projects.
- Thorough understanding of the requirements for, and successful experience obtaining environmental and other types of permits.
- Thorough knowledge of city, state and federal policies, laws, and regulations affecting Utilities Engineering Division work.
- Ability to organize, analyze, interpret and evaluate scientific civil engineering problems and provide practical, cost-effective solutions.
- Excellent written, verbal and interpersonal communication skills including public speaking ability, ability to communicate technical information in a non-technical manner.
- Ability to communicate effectively with customers, co-workers, consultants, contractors and the general public, both orally and in writing.
- Experience developing, designing and managing complex and politically sensitive capital projects.
- Experience with computer software applications including word processing, databases, spreadsheets, project management, and Bluebeam Revu or similar software.
- Proven ability to independently plan, schedule, organize and complete multiple projects within established deadlines and budgets.
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively with peers in a team environment.
- Able to problem-solve and resolve conflicts with a wide variety of stakeholders.
- Able to work evenings and weekends, as required.
For questions regarding this position please contact Debbie Harris at 425-452-4367. For any technical difficulties with your application, please contact the support line at 855-524-5627.
We are not collecting resumes and cover letters for this recruitment. Please ensure your application and answer to the supplemental questions are thorough.
At the City of Bellevue, you'll be part of a team committed to providing exceptional customer service, upholding the public interest and advancing the community vision. The five essential and enduring principles that guide our individual actions, our interactions, and our decision making in the City of Bellevue organization is: exceptional public service, stewardship, committee to employees, integrity, and innovation. You'll work in an environment that is innovative, collaborative, future focused, and committed to excellence. Bellevue welcomes the world. Our diversity is our strength. We embrace the future while respecting our past. It's what makes the City of Bellevue an exciting place to work, live, and explore.
Have we piqued your interest yet? Come join our team! The City of Bellevue supports workplace diversity. All qualified applicants are encouraged to apply and will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, marital status, national origin, genetic information, disability, age, veteran status, or any other protected status. Persons needing assistance with the application process may call the Human Resources Office at 425-452-6838 or firstname.lastname@example.org. If you are invited to participate in the selection process and need ADA accommodations, please notify HR before you are scheduled for an interview or testing.
** Please be sure to check your junk folder for any messages that may be sent to you about this recruitment.**