The City of Milton is actively recruiting for a service-oriented leader to be our Public Works Director. This position supports the City’s mission and values under the broad policy guidance of the Mayor to plan, direct, manage, supervise, and coordinate all Public Works activities including Engineering, Transportation, Fleet and Facilities maintenance, Street maintenance, and the Water, Power and Storm utilities. This position also provides oversight to the Planning and Building departments and supervises professional, technical, clerical and operations staff, directly and indirectly.
Education: Graduation from a college or university with a Bachelor’s degree in Engineering or Public Administration; and six years of progressively responsible supervisory and administrative experience in public works management; or substituting successful completion of a graduate level course work in engineering, public works management or public administration for up to one year of the experience, or a combination of education, experience, and training that indicates the ability to successfully perform the essential functions of the position listed above.
Licensing: Registration as a Professional Engineer in the State of Washington, PMP, or Master’s degree is preferred. Valid Washington state driver’s license or the ability to obtain one prior to employment.
- Invested in promoting customer service excellence, both internally and externally.
- Participates in, and provides leadership to, City-wide long-range, strategic planning activities in coordination with the Mayor.
- Manages, reviews, and prepares plans, goals, schedules, and budgets.
- Oversees large capital improvement projects; provides estimates and forecasts of costs for long-range improvement projects.
- State and Federal financing programs including but not limited to the Washington State Public Works Trust Fund, Transportation Improvement Board, Washington State Department of Trade and Economic Development Community Revitalization Board.
- City, State, and Federal codes, ordinances, specifications, policies, procedures, and standards.
- Comprehensive planning principles, practices, regulations, and techniques, including
development and updating of the comprehensive plans.
- Oversees contract management and/or grant administration. Confers with staff regarding contractor negotiations and selection ensuring appropriate protocols are followed.
- Knowledgeable in Public Works Engineering and Maintenance and Operations principles, practices, and regulatory requirements.
- Knowledgeable of the organization and management of municipal government.
- Acts as liaison with other Cities; Counties, Regional, State, and Federal agencies in funding and department concerns; responds to complaints or inquiries from citizens on public works matters.
- Responsible for the coordination of street and utility projects to ensure project timeliness and fiscal responsibility.
- Fosters effective communication with interest groups on committee-related and/or legislative issues and works to build relationships with other agencies with common interests and concerns.
- Attends City Council meetings and public hearings to present and respond to questions/comments; reviews construction projects; recommends payment of contracts and plans to the City Council.
- Supervises staff, conducts performance evaluations, and apply judgement and discretion in resolving problems and interpreting policies.
- Complete work and projects in a thorough and timely manner showing initiative and positive morale.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Approachable, organized, and confident, dedicated to building trust, and committed to creating and maintaining partnerships.
- Consistent, in-person attendance at job site.
Those who live and work in Milton enjoy its small-town appeal and the quiet, peaceful community feel, surrounded by fields, trees, open vistas, trails, and gardens. Its quiet atmosphere offers a welcome respite from the hustle and bustle of neighboring Tacoma, just ten minutes away. Through strong leadership, frequent community events, quality schools, and strong relationships between citizens, business and city government, Milton has retained its picturesque charm and quality.
Open until filled. Please submit cover letter, resume and city application (available at cityofmilton.net) to: email@example.com