The City of Gresham is seeking enthusiastic and hard-working individuals to fill full-time, regular status Public Utility Worker 2 (PUW 2) vacancies in the Water Division of Environmental Services.
The Public Utility Worker 2 performs installation, maintenance, and repair of public works facilities and infrastructure for the Water Division.
What you'll get to do:
- Perform general labor and support: Work with hand and power tools, jackhammers, compressors, concrete and pipe saws, and heavy equipment as trained.
- Install and repair water main and service lines: Excavation and construction using equipment such as concrete saws, backhoes, front-end loaders or hand shovels to excavate and grade as required and directed.
- Make service connections to water mains: Operate special tapping equipment to install valves, service water lines, hydrants, meters, and laying/aligning pipe to accomplish hookups.
- Conduct flushes: Test installations in accordance with established procedures
- Locating of water infrastructure
- Repair and replace existing water facilities and assets: Fire hydrants, meters, valves, mains, and other related duties as assigned.
Qualities we are looking for:
- Initiative - someone who stays productive and exercises self-motivation to complete relevant tasks without supervision
- Team player - someone who works collaboratively with others to reach common goals and work objectives
- Problem solver - someone who analyzes a situation and formulates strategies to resolve the unexpected
- Effective communicator - to listen and respond appropriately, interact with a variety of stakeholders such as coworkers, contractors, and citizens to explain equipment, procedures, answer questions, and seek cooperation.
- Coachable - someone eager to learn new skills and has the desire to receive training.
- High school graduate or have passed the GED test of equivalency.
- Must possess a valid driver's license.
- Must possess a good driving record (based on our driving matrix)
- Must have no previous DOT drug testing violations.
- Must understand instructions in English, both orally and in writing.
- Must be at least 18 years of age by the date of the hire.
- Must possess the physical ability to perform the essential functions of the job with or without reasonable accommodation.
- Must be able to obtain Oregon Class A CDL within first 6 months of employment.
- One year of public works water, general construction/labor, or other related experience.
Physical effort is needed to perform heavy manual labor. The ability to lift objects and equipment ranging from 25 to 60 pounds is a requirement. You must be able to bend, lift, dig, squat (often in confined spaces and at times for extended periods) and stand for extended periods. You must also be able to read and follow maps, keep written records, learn basic computer applications and communicate effectively with co-workers and the City's customers, with whom you will interact frequently, by phone and/or in-person.
Apply online at: https://GreshamOregon.gov/jobs