Placement on salary range is determined by relevant experience. This is a full-time, exempt position which includes a full benefits package.
The City of Hillsboro Water Department has a great opportunity for a Project Specialist to join their dynamic and collaborative team. The Hillsboro Water Department operates at a metropolitan scale from a suburban environment, with responsibilities for local water distribution and regional water supply. This is an excellent opportunity to serve as a technical resource and to support the City, the Joint Water Commission, and the Willamette Water Supply Program. Most importantly, the GIS Project Specialist will play a key role in providing the vital resource of clean drinking water to our diverse and thriving community.
Flexibility and effective communication skills are highly desired as the Project Specialist will maintain and support GIS database management and assist in the project management workload. The City’s GIS database is an essential tool for the administration and operation of the public drinking water system. The person in this position will support multiple needs such as: training staff, research, project coordination, and special requests. This team member will also support projects such as: software updates and integration, hardware procurement and maintenance, map making, and the creation of displays, along with various special projects. The Project Specialist may serve as lead over team members or projects as assigned.
Exciting projects we need your help with include:
- Recent transition and implementation of ArcPro
- Migrating from a Geometric Network to a Utility Network.
- Asset Management Strategic Plan
- City Wide GIS Strategic Plan Initiatives Implementation
- GPS and Asset Data Collection
- Provides technical and GIS support to the department and assigned supervisors. Coordinates programs and may serve as project liaison with internal and external stakeholders in support of GIS and Asset Management programs.
- Receives and responds to internal and external customer GIS inquiries and information requests. Researches, analyzes, troubleshoots, and provides information and support related to functional area of assignment.
- Coordinates, monitors and responds to complex information and record requests; researches related data and information; explains and interprets information related to processes and procedures.
- Researches and analyzes issues related to assigned programs or projects.
- Assists in preparing reports, training materials, and relevant GIS program documents; reviews and maintains files, databases, website information, and other documentation in accordance with records retention requirements and procedures.
- Helps establish standards and documentation protocols and develop SOP's.
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
To view the full scope of duties assigned to this job classification, review the job description here: Project Specialist
Acceptable Experience and Training
Associate degree in Civil Engineering, Construction Engineering, Geographic Information Systems, or a closely related field, and 3 years’ experience related to area of assignment; or an equivalent combination of education and experience sufficient to successfully perform the essential duties of the job. This position requires a valid driver's license and a safe driving record.
The ideal candidate will have:
- Working knowledge of GIS and experience in the field.
- Knowledge and experience with ArcPro.
- Knowledge and experience in data and database maintenance.
- Knowledge and experience in SDE editing.
- Knowledge in Model Builder.
- Knowledge in ArcGIS Query and Scripting Language.
- Experience supporting special projects.
- Ability to effectively communicate technical information.
- Ability to be flexible and work effectively and cooperatively in a team environment.
- An understanding of basic civil engineering terminology, methods, practices, and techniques.
- Skill in reading and interpreting construction plans and standards, specifications, maps, and related technical documentation.
Commitment to Equity
Hiring a workforce that reflects the diverse community we serve is essential to delivering exceptional City services and programs. The GIS Team is looking for a self-starter dedicated to proper data management, working with others and a commitment to the city and residents needs as a public steward. The Water Department is committed to creating and supporting an inclusive and welcoming environments for all employees to thrive. We value, respect, and empower employees as unique individuals with authentic voices and diverse ideas.
To apply, visit the City of Hillsboro career page or use this link: https://www.governmentjobs.com/careers/hillsboro/jobs/4325756/gis-project-specialist