Is your passion working with numbers? Do you like keeping things orderly (i.e., checks and balances)? Do you enjoy working with a skilled team, helping to make decisions that shape the organization? If so, check out Medford Water. We are seeking a qualified candidate for our Finance Manager role.
Full Time, Salary Exempt
To apply, submit a cover letter, resume and MW application (found on our website) to Human Resources. Candidate first review date is Friday, September 29, 2023; position open until filled.
The Finance Manager supervises and manages the Finance department. This position will assist in the control of the Water Commission finances and treasury through the maintenance of the accounting system, preparation of financial statements, cash management, and internal control management. This position is a member of the Medford Water (MW) Water Management Team (WMT), which plans, monitors, and calibrates the overall direction and operations of the Water Utility with the General Manager and the MWC Board of Commissioners.
Responsible for managing the Finance department. Directs the MW’s accounting system including payroll, accounts payable, miscellaneous receivables, fixed assets, risk management, purchasing, and internal auditing including developing policies and procedures for these functions; Establishes goals and objectives for the department; Prioritizes and assigns work; Oversees day-to-day activities within the department; Exercises independent performance of professional accounting and administrative duties with a minimum of supervision; Exercises discretion, independent judgment and decision-making responsibility in the performance of assigned duties. Active Communication and Respectfulness of co-workers and the public are skills required for this position, as are incorporating Medford Water Values into daily activities.
EXAMPLES OF WORK (Illustrative Only)
- Supervises staff to include: prioritizing and assigning work; conducting performance evaluations; ensures staff is trained; and, makes hiring, termination, and disciplinary recommendations.
- Assist Senior Accountant with planning and coordinating work of department staff, provides training and mentoring as needed.
- Oversees day-to-day operations of the department; Coordinates the maintenance of the Water Commission general ledger and accounting systems as required to ensure timely and accurate financial reporting.
- Participates in the development, implementation and evaluation of Medford Water and departmental policies, procedures, strategies and goals.
- Assists in coordinating the development, analysis and implementation of the annual Medford Water budget.
- Directs timely scheduling and preparation of annual audit and serves as staff liaison to external audit firm and preparation of annual financial statements and reports.
- Performs complex and technical accounting and financial management system analysis; identifies and analyzes problem areas in general accounting and related systems; makes recommendations for accounting system improvements including software modifications.
- Secures purchased insurances for the Water Commission and serves as liaison to external insurance carriers.
- Oversees Water Commission investment portfolio and bank accounts to meet cash flow requirements and makes investment recommendations to maximize return on investment.
- Reviews semi-monthly payroll, related tax filings and employee benefit deductions to ensure compliance with applicable federal and state laws and regulations.
- Directs timely scheduling, organizing and gathering information across the organization for preparation of Cost of Service Analysis.
- Attends and participates in various meetings and conferences related to the department.
- Prepares various complex reports and other correspondence.
- Responsible for budget and sound fiscal management for areas of responsibility.
- Other related duties as assigned.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES REQUIRED
Knowledge of the principles, practices, and techniques of municipal financial administration; generally accepted accounting practices; budgeting; and investing; applicable federal and state laws; Skill in the analysis of complex financial data, and interpretation and application of laws and regulations. Ability to apply generally accepted accounting and auditing principles; Ability to plan, coordinate, supervise and evaluate the work of subordinates; Ability to interpret and implement financial policies and procedures; Ability to express oneself clearly, concisely, orally and in writing and to establish and maintain effective working relationships with co-workers, contractors, and the public; Ability to follow established Medford Water Commission policies and procedures.
Leadership, Business Acumen, Decision Making/Critical Evaluation, Results Driven, Technical Capacity, Communication Proficiency, Teamwork/Collaboration Skills, and Ethical Conduct
TRAINING, EXPERIENCE, AND LICENSING REQUIRED
Completion of (4) years of college with a Bachelor’s degree in Accounting, Finance or a closely related field, and seven (7) years of progressively responsible supervisory and related finance administration, experience; or an equivalent combination of education and experience sufficient to successfully perform the essential duties of the job such as listed above; Valid Oregon Driver’s License and acceptable driving record.
Positions in this class typically require: repetitive motions, reaching, standing, walking, fingering, grasping, talking, hearing, seeing.
Light Work: Exerting up to 20 pounds of force occasionally, and/or up to 10 pounds of force frequently, and/or negligible amount of force constantly to move objects.