- Four-year college degree in accounting, preferably with a Masters of Business Administration (MBA)
- Minimum of 10 years’ experience in accounting, treasury, and budget operations
- Experience with Governmental Accounting Standards Board’s (GASB) generally accepted accounting principles (GAAP) as applied to governmental units
- Proficiency in the preparation for, and successful completion of, state and federal accountability and financial audits, preferably within the State of Washington
- Maintain a professional attitude and work well with other people
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Experience in common accounting programs and applications
Condition of Employment:
- Employment is conditioned upon satisfactory results from post-offer criminal history background check and reference check.
- Ability to be bonded against losses of property and theft
Nature of Work:
The District Treasurer reports directly to the General Manager to provide both general and confidential support on District financial matters, special projects, and experimental programs. Duties are varied and require independent decision-making skills in developing new procedures and policies in accordance with District policies, State statutes, and other State and Federal regulatory laws and requirements.
Work Conditions/Environment/Physical Requirements:
The essential functions of this position are performed in the office environment with occasional travel around Spokane County. Office environment includes sitting for extended periods of time in front of a computer screen; operating computer and other office equipment daily; communicating with others in person, by email, and on the phone. Physical requirements include regular sitting, bending, stooping, kneeling, walking, and standing.
Duties and Responsibilities:
Perform those duties required by the rules and regulations of the State of Washington, other regulatory agencies, and Whitworth Water District policies. Specific duties assigned by the General Manager, not limited to the following:
- Perform District Treasurer functions with efficiency and expertise
- Assist and advise the General Manager and/or Board of Commissioners in planning, assessing, reporting, and carrying out the District's fiscal policy
- Prepare financial statements for Board Meetings and quarterly and annual financial statements
- Increase interest earnings through investment pooling
- Assist District Manager in creating and implementing internal control measures
- Provide budget assistance in areas such as revenue projections, debt service payments, and rate schedules
- Assist the State Auditors during their review of the District's annual financial statement and other records.
- Perform accounts payable processing functions for the expense, construction accounts and maintain the records for this process
- Prepare and submit monthly Washington State Excise Tax Report and payable and prepare I099-MISC for the IRS
- Reconcile and verify various financial processes as necessary
- Process all aspects of payroll in the event of staff absence
- Assist General Manager with project expense tracking and reconciliation processes
- Perform all other duties deemed necessary by the General Manager
Salary and Benefits:
$95,000 - $120,000 - depending on experience. Benefits include retirement, medical, dental, vacation and sick leave (available upon request).
Please send cover letter, resume, three professional references, and a completed job application to the attention of Tom McInerney at email@example.com. The District's Job Application can be obtained by clicking here.