Perform professional engineering design work as a capital project engineer to develop and manage water capital improvement projects for the construction of new distribution and transmission mains with some work on water production and treatment facilities. This person shall also represent the water engineering group in various work groups, lead engineering technicians on assigned projects, and make recommendations to aid in the development and implementation of the City’s asset management program as it relates to capital water infrastructure.
This position may be flexibly staffed and hired as an Associate Engineer or Civil Engineer, depending on the qualifications of the selected candidate. If filled at the Associate level, the incumbent will be adjusted to the Civil Engineer classification once all qualifications are met.
- Perform work as a project engineer in the design of capital water projects as assigned, with a focus on designing water distribution and transmission mains and some work on water production and treatment facilities. Manage the engineering design and provide direction to technical staff to ensure successful delivery of assigned projects. Work closely with technical staff to prepare project documents such as construction plans, technical specifications, estimates, proposals, reports, and permit applications. Perform field work to review and check adequacy and accuracy of preliminary layouts, computations, all stages of design work, field work and survey data. Research applicable codes, regulatory requirements, and secure construction permits. Host and attend project design meetings to coordinate projects internally and externally for utility work within City, County, and State roadways. Work with internal procurement staff to prepare bid packages, requests for proposals, and consultant contracts. Provide support to construction staff and water operations staff. Complete final project close out to assure record drawings along with necessary engineering documents are properly retained. Assist with staff reports, city council meetings, and neighborhood meetings. Drive a City vehicle in a safe and appropriate manner.
- Work with other city work groups in the areas of GIS, asset management, and water operations to aid in the development and implementation of the agency wide asset management program as it relates to water system facilities and underground infrastructure. Analyze water pipeline data with the assistance of computer automated tools to prioritize capital water main replacement projects and make budget recommendations. Represent the water engineering group to enhance data fusion across the city. Develop strategies to improve data collection around asset management such as tracking pipeline corrosion, corrosive soils, and pipeline repairs. Provide project recommendations and aid in the planning process.
- Work closely with water operations staff to gain an understanding of the operational and maintenance needs of the system to aid in an engineering capacity.
- Track progress on assigned projects to ensure compliance with designated time and cost schedules for project completion including site visitations, field investigations, and evaluations.
- Oversee automated computer design and mapping projects performed by personnel to assure accuracy and compliance with laws, design criteria, and plan specifications.
- Respond to public or other inquires relative to engineering policies and procedures on specific projects, system problem areas, and other divisional information.
- Participate in the initial planning of projects to be proposed and make recommendations to assist managers in establishing schedules and budgets.
- Assist higher-level staff with the budgeting of division resources and development of division staff utilization plans. Provide and analyze data. Make recommendations to management.
- Act as a temporary stand-in for the senior civil engineer or other project managers during periods of others’ absence.