Spanaway Water Company, a private nonprofit mutual water association located in southeast Pierce County, is seeking an Accounting Lead. Spanaway Water Company originated in 1950 and now serves over 11,000 customers, has 20 employees, with annual revenues of approximately $5.5 million. We are offering an excellent opportunity for you to be a part of a sustainable organization well known for providing the community we serve with exceptional quality water by leading the accounting and HR responsibilities.
Spanaway Water Company is seeking an individual to serve as the Company’s Accounting Lead. This individual will serve as the Company's lead for all accounting functions as well as implementation and oversight of HR responsibilities. Applicants must be very detail-oriented, self-managed, and able to articulate finance and accounting concepts to a wide variety of audiences both orally and in writing. Applicants must enjoy being part of a team, and are eager and open to continuous learning.
Comprehensive knowledge of accounting principles and experience in their application in a business environment. Experience required as direct oversight of organizational Human Resources functions.
- Direct experience in the use of computer systems and software including QuickBooks, MS Word, and MS Excel.
- Preparation of the Company operational budget
- Preparation of the Company financial statements
- Monitor organizational spending to ensure it is within budget
- Ensure financial statements are accurate, revenues are received and recorded properly
- Provides analysis and evaluation of future financial planning, in support of the management team
- Participate in rate analysis and wholesale water agreements pricing.
- Manage the Company’s accounting process including accounts payable and miscellaneous receivable
- Coordinate with the Company’s accounting firm to address financial requirements
- Ability to make presentations, communicate effectively with coworkers, management, appointed officials, and the general public, and display excellent interpersonal skills
- Accurately process and record payroll and benefits
- Benefits administration, ensuring employees understand their benefit coverages. Administers 401(k) and health plans.
- Ensure compliance with company policy and Employee Handbook
- Provide backup support to customer service duties
- Provide support for other duties as assigned
Bachelor's Degree in Accounting or Finance or related field, three years' experience in a position with similar responsibilities, or any equivalent combination of education, training and experience which provides the requisite knowledge, skills and abilities required for the position. Proven ability to apply principles and practices of a tax-exempt organization budgeting and auditing using GAAP. Proven aptitude for using accounting and/or payroll software applications and related databases, ability to analyze, organize and interpret data to draw logical conclusions and monitor internal controls using best practices.
Applications and a complete job description can be downloaded from our website. Pre-employment drug test, driving history, credit check, and background checks are required after receiving a conditional job offer. All Company positions require a twelve month introductory period.
Wage and Benefits:
Starting wage will be based on experience, skill, knowledge and certifications. Job description and application available at www.spanaway-water.org or 18413 B St E, Spanaway, WA 98387, (253) 531-9024.
Job Type: Full-time, in-person, Mon-Fri 8:00 to 4:30
Salary: $39.43 - $49.28 per hour
- 401(k) with matching %
- Fully funded pension plan
- Company paid Dental, Vision, and Health insurance
- Paid vacation time (starting at 2 weeks a year)
- Paid sick leave (accrued at 12 days a year)
- 12 paid holidays