Water Distribution Operator I
Opening Date: March 22, 2019
Salary Range: $22.806 - $29.101/hour
Closing Date: Open Until Filled
NATURE OF POSITION
Performs apprentice operator duties of a Group A, Class 3 Water Distribution System. Executes a variety of responsibilities in support of the maintenance, repair and construction of the City’s water system and operations; assists work crews with departmental assignments such as meter maintenance and installation, fixing leaks, flushing, valve exercising and fire hydrant maintenance; assists with the activities of the work of water maintenance crews on a rotational basis as needed, including the performance of manual labor.
Supervision is provided by the Water Distribution Supervisor; general direction and oversight is provided by the Operator II and Lead Operator positions.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Employees of the City of Walla Walla are expected to model and foster the City’s core values: Customer Focus - Excellence – Stewardship - Communication - Leadership - Integrity
- Provide exemplary customer service to all individuals; actively participate in maintaining a positive customer service environment.
- Perform support and assistance for heavy equipment operation; assist and participate in underground excavation, including confined space entry. Operates heavy equipment such as dump trucks and wheel loaders; and may receive training or operate backhoe and excavation equipment.
- Participate in responsibilities related to system maintenance including line flushing, fire hydrant installation and repair.
- Assist with meter installations including large meter installs; assist with new and existing service assignments including meter repairs and replacements.
- Perform duties for general water distribution operation involving water pumps ranging from hand pumps to industrial gas-powered units, valve exercising equipment, metal detectors and atmospheric testers.
- Collect, report and process utility data using Cartegraph software in combination with GIS mapping.
- Ensure the adherence to safe work practices and procedures by operations personnel.
- Respond to public inquiries with tact and courtesy; provide information within the area of assignment; resolve complaints in an efficient and timely manner.
- Coordinate and respond to emergency calls for water distribution system operations and repairs.
- Participate in the inspection of the water distribution system.
- Respond to water customer inquiries and complaints; respond to service calls for main line breaks, service/meter leaks and system wide pressure and flow problems.
- Participate in the seven (7) day on-call rotation. Respond to emergency calls off-hours for operations and repair for Water Distribution Division (minimum of six (6) month probationary period before on-call status will be activated). May provide back-up services for the Public Works Divisions.
OTHER JOB FUNCTIONS
- Demonstrate punctual, regular and reliable attendance which is essential for successful job performance.
- Present a positive, professional image; maintain cooperative and effective working relationships; assure excellent customer service with internal and external customers.
- Execute assignments, projects and job responsibilities efficiently and within defined timeframes; work independently and effectively with little direction.
- Demonstrate good judgment and employ critical thinking to execute duties, identify issues, seek solutions and recommend improvements in support of departmental goals.
- Provide assistance to staff and higher-level management; participate in resolving operational or interpersonal concerns; participate in training, meetings, and on committees as assigned.
- Respect the value of diversity in the workplace and the community.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- Ability to operate and maintain hand tools, power tools and a variety of specialized equipment.
- Utilize a variety of office equipment including desk top computers, copiers, scanners and phones; utilize mobile devices including lap top computers and tablets for the purpose of asset management and job tracking.
- Knowledge of occupational hazards and standard safe work precautions; safety measures related to excavation; precautions related to work on or near a traffic right-of-way.
- Knowledge of applicable laws, codes, regulations; ability to follow policies and procedures.
- Demonstrate excellent communication and interpersonal skills including tact, patience, courtesy, respect, responsiveness, understanding and fairness.
- Demonstrate enthusiasm for continuous improvement and attentiveness to detail.
- Able to make use of technical and analytical skills; able to learn quickly.
TOOLS AND EQUIPMENT USED
A variety of hand tools, power tools and specialized equipment including valve exercising equipment, water pumps, hand pumps and industrial gas-powered pump units. Electronic devices and sensitive equipment such as atmospheric testers and metal detectors. Heavy equipment vehicles such as dump trucks, wheel loaders, back-hoes and excavators. Standard office equipment such as desk top and lap top computers, copiers, scanners and phones.
Walking, standing, bending, or crouching or kneeling down for extended periods of time; dexterity of hands and fingers to operate specialized equipment and execute repetitive hand movements; sitting for extended periods of time; seeing and hearing to identify information; speaking and writing to exchange information; pushing, pulling and lifting up to 75 pounds with assistance; operating assigned equipment and vehicles.
Outdoor work environment exposed to seasonal conditions and inclement weather, including driving a vehicle to conduct work in all weather conditions. Work may be performed around and within the proximity of moving objects including vehicles and related traffic hazards; excavations and confined space; dissatisfied or aggressive individuals.
REQUIRED MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS
High school diploma or equivalent; valid state driver’s license and proof of good driving record; State Class A CDL with air brakes and tanker endorsement (must be obtained within one (1) year); State of Washington Department of Health Operator in Training certification (must be obtained within two (2) years).
Experience in the maintenance and repair of water or related systems and components. State of Washington Department of Health Water Distribution Manager I certification. Bilingual in Spanish.
APPLICATION AND SELECTION PROCEDURE:
A completed City application and resume are required to apply. Applications are available on the Human Resources page of the City of Walla Walla website: www.wallawallawa.gov.
Applicants whose experience most closely meets the requirements of the position will be invited to continue in the selection process which will consist of an oral panel interview, reference inquiries and may include a criminal background check and consumer report. The incumbent will serve a six-month trial service period. Completed application packages can be mailed to:
CITY OF WALLA WALLA-HR
15 N. Third Avenue
Walla Walla, WA 99362
Email to firstname.lastname@example.org or faxed to (509) 524-7935.
REASONABLE ACCOMMODATION: The City of Walla Walla will provide reasonable accommodation to disabled applicants if requested. Please notify the Human Resources office at least 5 days prior to the need.
NOTE: The provisions of this bulletin do not constitute an expressed or implied contract. Any provision contained herein may be modified and/or revoked without notice.
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER / AMERICANS WITH DISABILITIES ACT EMPLOYER
THE CITY OF WALLA WALLA DOES NOT DISCRIMINATE ON THE BASIS OF RACE, COLOR, NATIONAL ORIGIN, GENDER, SEXUAL ORIENTATION, RELIGION, AGE OR DISABILITY IN EMPLOYMENT OR THE PROVISION OF SERVICES.
MINORITIES AND WOMEN ARE ENCOURAGED TO APPLY.