Are you searching for a career opportunity in Public Works Maintenance and Operations? Do you have the drive to be a part of building and serving a community that is experiencing significant growth and development? Consider joining us at the City of Kirkland!
The City of Kirkland (population approximately 88,000) is located on the northeastern shoreline of Lake Washington just 30 minutes east of Downtown Seattle. Regionally recognized as a City with a “small town” feel, a sense of history, and a strong appreciation for quality of life, Kirkland is a booming community. Home to tech companies such as Google and Inrix, along with Evergreen Hospital, Kirkland is within the acclaimed Lake Washington School District. Investment in public infrastructure has been a high priority for the community, and thus stable funding has been established for the transportation and utility systems as well as for the tools, equipment, and vehicles for the City’s workforce.
The Utilityperson position performs manual labor and operates “light” equipment for maintenance or construction of the City’s water, sewer, streets, and storm drainage systems. Current position openings will be assigned to work in one of the Operations and Maintenance Divisions of the Public Works Department.
- Performs work site activities related to street maintenance and vegetation control; such as temporary and permanent asphalt patching and concrete work, vegetation trimming and clean-up.
- Performs work site activities related to sewer system maintenance such as repair of sewer mains, pumping stations, and appurtenances.
- Performs work site activities related to water system maintenance of mains, valves, hydrants, meters, PRVs and appurtenances; reading meters, repairing hydrants, installing water services
- Performs worksite activities related to storm drain system maintenance such as repair of mains, catch basins, detention/retention facilities, and natural stream channels.
- Conducts flagging to control traffic while road work is being accomplished.
- Must have a High School diploma (or GED) and minimum of one year utility construction or maintenance experience.
- Good working knowledge of common hand and power tools.
- Possess and maintain a valid Washington State Driver’s License.
- Possess and maintain current Class A Combination Driver’s License (CDL) with air and tanker endorsements or must obtain within 12 months of date of hire; training paid for by the City but testing and licensing fees at own expense.
- Must obtain and maintain certified flagging card within six months of date of hire; training provided.
- A current, valid Class A CDL with air and tanker endorsements
- Public Works municipal experience
- Drinking water distribution system operation and maintenance experience
- Storm water drainage systems experience
- Asphalt paving and patching
Hours of Work
Monday - Friday, 6:30 a.m. to 3:00 p.m. (30 minute lunch)
Seasonal overtime typically available
During civic emergencies, may be required to work outside of normal operating hours
Working Conditions & Physical Activities
Work is performed outdoors in all weather conditions. Must be able to climb in and out of trenches, vaults, manholes, excavation, and construction equipment. Must be able to lift and move heavy (50 lbs. plus) and bulky objects.
Current position offerings:
- Streets and Grounds Division
- Surface Water Division
- Water/Wastewater Division
This offering denotes multiple position openings dependent on concurrent internal advancement.
Hiring rate ($25.10-$31.46 per hour) may vary based on qualifications. Salary range placement is with a full benefit package: 100% paid medical/dental/vision premiums for employee and dependents, deferred compensation plan, 2x annual salary life insurance, vacation and sick leave accruals, paid holidays, ORCA card, transportation incentives, free onsite parking, and access to City-owned workout facility.
While final selection will not occur until after closing, screening may commence prior to the closing date.
Position requires a resume and cover letter (letter of interest) for consideration of application. Please note how you meet minimum qualifications within that letter.
Applicants who are invited to participate in the testing and interviewing processes will be notified by phone or email. Interviews will be conducted via Zoom or other manner. Testing for this position will include both a written test and a hands-on skills test. All testing will be performed under COVID-19 guidelines as established by the CDC and State of Washington Department of Health which include temperature checks, social distancing, and masks at all times unless a medical waiver is provided.
Candidates who are selected to interview will be required to complete a Criminal History background check. Following a conditional offer of employment, prospective employees may be tested for the presence of drugs as part of the pre-employment drug screening.
This position is represented by the Teamsters Local 763; membership options will be available to you upon employment.
GO TO GOVJOBSTODAY TO APPLY!