Job Title: Utility Operations Director
Service Type: Non-represented Confidential Employee
Reports To: General Manager
Salary: $90,000 to $121,000 annually DOE
Location: Oak Grove, Oregon
Basic Schedule: 7:00-4:00 pm, M-F
Opening Date: 01/22/2021
Closing Date: First review 02/22/2021, open until filled.
Contact: Aleah Binkowski at firstname.lastname@example.org or 503-353-4210
Oak Lodge Water Services District is currently searching for a Utility Operations Director with a strong knowledge base in the operations of Water Distribution and Wastewater Collections. Successful candidates must have strong planning, organizational, communication and management skills. The Utility Operations Director organizes and directs the operations of the Water Distribution and Wastewater Collections Departments, managing the supervisors overseeing the teams. We are seeking a highly qualified, motivated, leader with unquestionable ethics and integrity. This is a non-unionized, exempt position. The following is a list of required education and experience; the ideal candidate will possess no less than six years of experience in water distribution, wastewater collections or public works, and candidates must have at least four years of direct supervision of staff. A Bachelor’s degree in Public Administration, Construction Management, Civil Engineering, or a related field is preferred. Candidates may possess any combination of relevant education and experience that demonstrates their ability to perform the duties and responsibilities or an equivalent combination of training and experience. There is no substitution for supervisory experience.
- Supervises Water Distribution and Wastewater Collections staff by developing departmental work plans and overall goals. Evaluates staff performance with the assistance of departmental supervisors, monitors progress on work assignments and special projects. Monitors staff training and development and assists in implementing District policy.
- Oversees the planning, and organization, to ensure projects and activities are scheduled efficiently.
- Meets with field supervisors to coordinate project prioritization. Plans, organizes, and schedules projects and initiatives and visits job sites to ensure compliance with safety procedures.
- Ensures compliance with all federal, state, and local laws and regulations regarding water distribution and sanitary collections. Assists in determining strategies and procedures regarding local and regional issues and attends meetings relating regional issues.
- Determines system needs, and solves problems regarding systems, equipment, and operations.
- Reviews and comments on technical papers, design concept reports and engineering plan reviews by ensuring items comply with District policy and to ensure work completed meets District requirements.
- Oversees expenses and cost of services within the District’s procurement rules, approves contracts for the purchase of services including determining services to be contracted out, the level of service provided, and in monitoring work to ensure quality services.
- Prepares Requests for Proposals and scope of work for certain procurements with legal assistance.
- Prepares department budgets while prioritizing needed maintenance and repair. Provides justification for budget requests.
- Prepares presentations to the Board, reports and correspondence as well as assisting in the creation of Master Plans for each of his/her service areas.
- Tracks the District’s fleet, including determining useful life, recommends the purchasing and surplusing of fleet and directs maintenance.
- Partners with department supervisors and staff to effect process improvements and determine best practices, including strategic asset management protocols, setting performance benchmarks, to exceed service level expectations.
- Communicates with customers and investigates their problems and complaints.
- Coordinates responding teams in the event of an emergency and ensures department is prepared for a timely response to emergencies.
How to Apply:
Application materials must be completed by the first review date for the first round of considered for this position. Any application that is missing a cover letter and resume will not be considered. No late, incomplete, or faxed applications will be accepted. More specific instructions can be found on the District application including instructions for requesting veteran’s preference. Internal candidates are to contact the Human Resources department for District Application and further information. Please visit www.oaklodgewaterservices.org for an employment application and further information.
The required materials to be turned in for this recruitment are:
1. District Application
3. Cover Letter
About Oak Lodge Water Services District:
Oak Lodge Water Services provides clean water, sanitary sewer, and surface water services to residents of the unincorporated communities of Oak Grove and Jennings Lodge. Oak Lodge Water Services serves over 30,000 residents. Prior to January 2017, two Districts serviced the area separately: Oak Lodge Water provided drinking water and Oak Lodge Sanitary provided sanitary sewer and watershed protection. In May 2016, voters in the district passed a measure to consolidate the two districts into a single district. Our combined district focuses on delivering the best possible services to our customers efficiently and effectively.
The District’s key values are:
- Our customers
- Respecting the opinions and voices of coworkers, customers, the public, and the Board.
- Maintaining a positive and professional environment that expects honesty, integrity, quality customer service, and social
- Positive relationships, and always reaching for the best within ourselves.
- Recruiting and maintaining highly motivated people to provide quality service to our
By practicing these values, we create an open forum to achieve excellence in communication and work processes which provide our customers with efficient wastewater, surface water and clean water services that protect public health and water quality. At Oak Lodge Water Services District, we strive to create a culture of teamwork and excellence in Public Service.
Ranking and Selection
The ranking and selection of applicants to proceed in the process for this recruitment include experience, education, or an explanation of transferable skills and experience and meeting the minimum qualifications of this position.