Must apply on-line, please visit this website: https://www.cityofvancouver.us/hr/page/apply-job
This position is to perform skilled journey level electrical work in the repair, installation, maintenance and alteration of electrical equipment and wiring systems related to the City's utility systems.
This is a full-time, regular, non-exempt position covered by the provisions of an agreement between the City and the AFSCME union. The schedule for this position is M-F, 6:00am-3:30pm, 9/80 flex schedule.
- Install new electrical services and equipment; run conduit for fixtures, receptacles, control circuits, and lighting; select and install wires; accomplish hookups and test installation. Drive a city vehicle in a safe and appropriate manner between work-sites.
- Perform various technical work on utility systems including diagnosing motors for overloading and failure; perform voltage and resistance tests; calibrate solid state circuit boards; upgrade existing electrical services. Utilize a variety of hand tools including strippers, crimpers, and various electrician tools.
- Evaluate each job situation as it arises; diagnose electrical problems and search for proper solutions; refer problems to appropriate staff. Resolve problems of balancing electrical loads, peak loading, overloading and phasing.
- Estimate material and labor costs necessary for electrical installations, upgraded electrical services, and repair projects.
- Repair electrical problems in emergency situations
- Perform related duties as assigned
- Maintain service records and write reports
Experience and Education
- Four years of experience as a journey level electrician, preferably with experience in industrial control.
- Equivalent to the completion of the twelfth grade supplemented by the completion of a formal electrical apprenticeship program.
- Equivalent combinations of education and experience may be considered.
- Basic skills in Microsoft Word, Excel, Outlook, PowerPoint, Adobe and AutoCAD.
Required Licenses and/or Certifications
- Appropriate, valid driver’s license.
- Possession of an appropriate four (4) year General Journeyman License
Ability to Obtain:
- Possession of, or ability to obtain, a flagging card within six (6) months of hire.
- Possession of, or ability to obtain, a forklift certification within six (6) months of hire.
- Possession of, or ability to obtain, a valid CPR/First Aid card within three (3) months of hire.