Tualatin Valley Water District is looking to fill a Senior Engineer position for the Willamette Water Supply Program (WWSP). This position will serve as the Deputy Engineering and Construction Manager for the District on the WWSP, including planning, designing, and directing complex engineering projects and programs. This includes the implementation and tracking of the capital improvement program, implementation of WWSP project management standards, implementation of engineering standards, and tracking and reporting of projects.
We have a great benefits package to offer the right candidate. If interested, please go to our website and follow the directions on how to apply. All application materials are due no later than April 30th by 11 a.m. Our webpage is http://www.tvwd.org/about-us/job-opportunities.aspx
Essential Job Functions:
- In coordination with the WWSP management team, assist with leading and overseeing the delivery of all WWSP planning, design, and construction work.
- Interface with design consultants and construction contractors to achieve WWSP objectives and resolve issues, including serving as the WWSP’s designated representative for selected design and construction contracts.
- Facilitate engagement of WWSP Partners’ operations personnel in the development of WWSP design, maintenance in advance of placement in service, and asset management.
- Provide direction on the disposition of assigned design, value engineering, and construction issues.
- Assist to verify that safety and security requirements are developed, implemented, and enforced throughout the life of the WWSP.
- Anticipate and solve complex engineering problems, achieve program objectives and requirements, support organization of programs and projects, and apply standards and guidelines for diverse engineering activities.
- Responsible for making engineering decisions and independent interpretations of empirical data affecting facility planning, design, construction, operation and maintenance; exercising sound judgement to escalate decisions when needed.
- Perform complex assignments requiring application of civil/structural/mechanical/electrical engineering principles in the planning, design, construction, operation and maintenance of water systems (transmission, treatment, distribution, pumping and storage facilities).
- Recommend facilities, personnel and funds required to carry out programs that are directly related with and directed towards fulfillment of overall organizational objectives.
- Assist in preparing and monitoring WWSP plan and project budgets, including contributing to short and long-term plans and priorities.
- Compile and prepare special reports, memos and documentation in addition to preparing various presentations to the WWSP Executive Committee, TVWD Board, TVWD Budget Committee, governmental partners and other key stakeholders.
- Recommend project actions, including preparing project specifications, plans, and cost estimates; locate and evaluate project sites and identify potential environmental impacts and required test data, procedures, and materials.
- May serve as a project or task manager for short-term WWSP assignments.
- Perform other related duties as assigned.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities Required:
- Knowledge of plan, design and construction of large, complicated infrastructure engineering projects.
- Knowledge of project management practices and procedures.
- Knowledge of personnel, administrative, safety and departmental polices.
- Knowledge of municipal water systems engineering principles and practices, including engineering hydraulics, hydraulic calculations, hydraulic modeling and application of results to water system planning and design.
- Knowledge and ability to read detailed maps, construction plans and other similar documents.
- Knowledge of standard codes and generally accepted theories and practices in engineering discipline and ability to identify and define problems.
- Knowledge of safety practices and procedures applicable to the job.
- Knowledge of basic computer operations and Microsoft Office, including the ability to use customized software applications appropriate to the position.
- Skill in stakeholder relations and communications, including the ability to effectively and tactfully work with difficult stakeholders and complex stakeholder issues.
- Skill in effective supervisory principles and leadership.
- Ability to make decisions and recommendations that are recognized as authoritative and have an important impact on extensive engineering activities.
- Ability to demonstrate creativity, foresight and mature engineering judgment.
- Ability to coordinate and administer projects, including meeting required deadlines.
- Ability to establish and maintain respectful and harmonious relationships with others both inside and outside the organization.
- Ability to perform effectively in an independent or team environment, as well as displaying self-motivation skills.
- Ability to make decisions independently in accordance with established policies and to use initiative and judgment in carrying out tasks and responsibilities with only little or no instruction or guidance.
- Ability to ensure compliance with federal, state and local rules, laws and regulations.
- Ability to demonstrate outstanding analytical skills.
- Ability to effectively manage, plan, evaluate the work of others and hold design consultants and construction contractors accountable for results.
- Ability to communicate effectively, both orally and in writing, including the ability to make oral, written, and graphic presentations to a variety of individuals and groups, both public and private.
- Ability to effectively write and understand technical reports.
- Ability to apply engineering precepts and practices in developing designs and operational procedures.
- Ability to recognize and keep sensitive information confidential.
- Ability to manage records and information in any format, in accordance with applicable statutes, regulations and District policy, guidance and records retention schedule.
- Ability to display TVWD’s vision of delivering the best water, service and value by demonstrating reliability, integrity, stewardship, excellence and safety.