Tacoma Water has a proud tradition of operating and maintaining one of the country's oldest municipally owned water systems. We provide high-quality water at very competitive prices. We provide direct service to more than 300,000 people throughout Pierce and King counties. Our mission is to provide clean, reliable water now and in the future. If you share our values of Respect, Accountability, Inspiration, and Vision; if you have the courage to challenge and be challenged; if you demonstrate mutual respect; and if you value innovation, we are looking for you.
As the Electrical Engineer in Tacoma Water's Water Supply Section, Electrical Group, you will design, plan, commission, monitor and maintain Tacoma Water's electrical system, electrical control system and communication systems including voice, data radio and microwave systems, data network, and telemetry support. You will recommend additions or changes to these systems including taking systems out of service and introducing new equipment to the systems.
- Prepare technical specifications, engineering calculations and plans for engineering projects
- Prepare cost estimates, advertise and evaluate bids
- Coordinate projects with consultants, contractors, and inspect projects to assure compliance with specifications and regulations
- Evaluate and coordinate maintenance and/or repair of electrical and control systems within the Tacoma Water infrastructure
- Develop project scopes, technical specifications, timelines and budgets
- Coordinate with other utilities to effectively manage inter agency projects
- Manage, upgrade and improve the electrical system, identifying current trends and future needs
- Respond and investigate issues with projects, contracts, and daily electrical and control systems faults on the electrical and control systems
- Research, analyze and perform engineering calculations to assess electrical system faults, pipeline and reservoir corrosion protection, well and pump station efficiencies as well as other analytical data to diagnose electrical system malfunctions or to improve electrical and control efficiencies
- 3+ years of experience as an industrial and/or commercial electrical engineer;
- 4 year degree in electrical engineering;
- Experience with single and three phase electrical service entrance equipment, switchgear and panel boards, motor control centers, back-up generators, electronic system controls, preventive maintenance.
SELECTION PROCESS & SUPPLEMENTAL INFORMATION:
Applicants must attach a detailed resume and cover letter that includes job experience, major responsibilities and accomplishments related to this position. Applicants whose backgrounds most closely reflect the current needs of the department may be invited to participate in an interview. Reference checks will be conducted on final candidates and appointment is subject to passing a background check.