Must apply on-line at this website: https://www.cityofvancouver.us/hr/page/apply-job
A successful candidate for this position will perform professional engineering design work to develop and manage water capital improvement projects for the construction of new distribution and transmission mains. This person shall also represent the water engineering group in various work groups and make recommendations to aid in the development and implementation of the City’s asset management program as it relates to capital water infrastructure.
This is a full-time, regular, exempt position that is non-union. The schedule for this position is M-F, 8am-5pm.
- Perform work as a project engineer in the design of capital water projects as assigned, with a main focus on designing water distribution and transmission mains. Manage the engineering design and provide direction to technical staff to ensure successful delivery of assigned projects. Work closely with technical staff in preparing project documents such as; construction plans, technical specifications, estimates, proposals, reports, and permit applications. Oversee the automated computer design process to assure accuracy and compliance with laws, design criteria, current standards and guidelines. Review and check adequacy and accuracy of computations, preliminary layout, all stages of design work, field and survey data. Research applicable codes, regulatory requirements, and secure construction permits. Host and attend project design meetings to coordinate projects internally and externally for utility work within City, County, and State roadways. Work with internal procurement staff to prepare bid packages, requests for proposals, and consultant contracts. Provide support to construction staff and water operations staff. Complete final project close out to assure record drawings along with necessary engineering documents are properly retained. Assist with staff reports, city council meetings, and neighborhood meetings. Drive a City vehicle in a safe and appropriate manner.
- Work with other city work groups in the areas of GIS, asset management, and water operations to aid in the development and implementation of the agency wide asset management program as it relates to water system facilities and underground infrastructure. Analyze water pipeline data with the assistance of computer automated tools to prioritize capital water main replacement projects and make budget recommendations. Represent the water engineering group to enhance data fusion across the city. Develop strategies to improve data collection in the area of asset management such as tracking pipeline corrosion, corrosive soils, and pipeline repairs. Provide project recommendations and aid in the planning process.
- Work closely with water operations staff to gain an understanding of the operational and maintenance needs of the system and provide assistance in an engineering capacity.
- Provide backup and support to the senior civil engineer.
- Perform related duties and responsibilities as assigned.
Three (3) years of related experience in the field of engineering, preferably relevant design and project management experience.
Equivalent to a Bachelor's Degree in Civil Engineering from an accredited college or university with major course work in civil engineering or a related field.
Equivalent combinations of education and experience may be considered.
- Intermediate skills in Microsoft Word, Excel, Outlook, PowerPoint, AutoCAD, and ArcGIS.
Required Licenses and/or Certificates:
- Washington State Driver’s License.
- Professional Civil Engineering License.
Ability to Obtain:
- Washington State Professional Civil Engineering license within one year through reciprocity.